The Felony Division reviews all felony complaints and files felony cases for all of St. Joseph County. This division works closely with all of the police agencies in St. Joseph County, including all of the cities, towns, university and federal law enforcement agencies.
Felony Cases are any crime for which the penalty is more than one year. Typical cases for the Felony Division include, but are not limited to, murder, robbery, aggravated battery, rape, and child molestation. The sentences for the seven classes of felonies are as follows:
- Sentencing Range: Minimum 45 yrs. Advisory 55 yrs. Maximum 65 yrs. and up to $10,000 fine; also eligible under limited, statutorily-established circumstances for Life Imprisonment Without the Possibility of Parole, or Death Penalty
Level 1 Felony
- Sentencing Range: Minimum 20 yrs. Advisory 30 yrs. Maximum 40 yrs. and up to $10,000 fine
Level 2 Felony
- Sentencing Range: Minimum 10 yrs. Advisory 17.5 yrs. Maximum 30 yrs. and up to $10,000 fine
Level 3 Felony
- Sentencing Range: Minimum 3 yrs. Advisory 9 yrs. Maximum 16 yrs. and up to $10,000 fine
Level 4 Felony
- Sentencing Range: Minimum 2 yrs. Advisory 6 yrs. Maximum 12 yrs. and up to $10,000 fine
Level 5 Felony
- Sentencing Range: Minimum 1 yrs. Advisory 3 yrs. Maximum 6 yrs. and up to $10,000 fine
Level 6 Felony
- Sentencing Range: Minimum 6 mos. Advisory 1 yrs. Maximum 2.5 yrs. and up to $10,000 fine. A Judge may also sentence someone convicted of a Level 6 Felony as if they were convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor, which has a sentence of 0 to 1 year in jail and up to $5,000 fine.