Can I apply for a Protection Order against my neighbor with whom I cannot get along?
No. If you have a legal problem with a neighbor you should talk with a lawyer to find out about your options. If the dispute includes harassment or abuse you can also file a report with the police. If criminal charges are filed against the person who is harassing or abusing you, you may be able to obtain a No Contact Order as part of the criminal case.

If you are not certain whether the problem with your neighbor amounts to a crime, you can contact the police or the Prosecutor's Office Victim Services Division to speak with someone about your concerns.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Protection Order?
2. Who can apply for a Protection Order?
3. What acts are considered to be “domestic or family violence?
4. Who is considered to be a family or household member?
5. Can Protection Orders for victims of stalking and sexual offenses only be obtained against family or household members?
6. Can I apply for a Protection Order against my neighbor with whom I cannot get along?
7. Where do I need to go to file a Petition for a Protection Order?
8. What if I currently have a divorce, custody, or paternity action pending with a person I want to get a Protection Order against?
9. Where do I get the forms needed to file the Petition?
10. What information will I need in order to fill out the Petition?
11. How long is a Protection Order valid?
12. Is my Protection Order enforceable outside of St. Joseph County?
13. What if I have a Protection Order that was issued in another county or state?
14. Is there a cost for obtaining a Protection Order?
15. Who can I call or see for additional help regarding Protection Orders?