How can I obtain a Wellhead Protection (WHP) permit?
Each business within a WHPA that contains a potential threat to the groundwater must submit a permit application to the Health Department. The application includes a number of questions about what hazardous or regulated materials are present on site and how the business prevents contaminants from getting into the groundwater. A permit fee must be submitted with the application.

The Health Department reviews the application, conducts a thorough site inspection, and works with businesses to develop ways, if necessary, to manage the threats to the groundwater to protect our drinking water. After permits are issued, routine inspections are performed. The Health Department consults with the appropriate public water system throughout this process.

The Health Department encourages any businesses that may need a permit to obtain an application and a briefing package. Electronic and paper copies of all materials are available from the Health Department.St. Joseph County Health Department

Show All Answers

1. Why is protection important?
2. Is my business in a Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA)?
3. Do I need a Wellhead Protection Permit to operate my business?
4. What are the risks of non-compliance?
5. Where can I get more information?
6. How can I obtain a Wellhead Protection (WHP) permit?