Why do I pay an assessment and how is the money spent?
All property owners residing in a drain watershed, even if the drain does not physically run on or near your property, are required to pay an assessment to maintain the drains in that watershed and is a benefit for drainage.

Show All Answers

1. Can I fill in the ditch?
2. Can I control the ditch vegetation and keep my ditch bank mowed myself?
3. Can I build sheds, playground equipment etc., in the right-of-way?
4. Can I dam up or block water that flows onto my property?
5. Can I put a culvert in the ditch to cross over?
6. Can I put a fence in the Regulated Drain easement?
7. Can I put my water from my private tile into the regulated drain?
8. Do my drainage assessments pay for the salaries of the County Surveyor’s office or the Drainage Board?
9. Does the drainage assessment go to the general fund?
10. What determines whether a drain is regulated or private?
11. What is a regulated drain?
12. When does a subdivision storm drain become a regulated drain?
13. Who determines who pays the drainage assessment and how much they pay?
14. Who is responsible to repair a tile drain or an open ditch if it is not a regulated drain?
15. Who should I contact for a permit to work on a tile or open drain?
16. Why do I pay an assessment and how is the money spent?