Duties & Responsibilities
Annexation Descriptions

The Surveyor maintains annexation descriptions for each city and town and must certify to the state Election Board the annexations and the Census Tracts involved.

Legal Survey Book

The Surveyor maintains a legal survey record book for all legal surveys within the County. A legal survey is a survey prepared by a licensed land surveyor with notice to all adjoining landowners to resolve property disputes.

Section Corner Perpetuation

The Surveyor must keep and maintain a corner record book showing original government section corners. The Surveyor must check and reference at least 5% of all corners shown in the Corner Record Book and establish, locate, and reference at least 5% of all original corners each year.

The Surveyor also maintains files of completed surveys in the County, making them available to surveyors for research. These are filed by Section, Township, and Range.

State Plane Coordinates

There are over 1,100 Section Corners, and Quarter Section Corners in St. Joseph County that have been updated with State Plane Coordinates using Global Positioning Satellites (GPS).

County Addressing

The Surveyor is responsible for all addressing for unincorporated St. Joseph County.

Certification to Alcoholic Beverage Commission

Prior to the Indiana Alcoholic Beverage Commission issuing a new Alcoholic Beverage Permit to an establishment in St. Joseph County, the Surveyor must certify the permit.

Planning Commission

The Surveyor is a member of the Area Plan Commission (APC). As a member of the APC, he attends the monthly meeting and makes decisions on rezoning matters. As a member of the APC Plat Committee, he reviews and acts on every subdivision proposed in South Bend and St. Joseph County. The City of Mishawaka has it's own Plan Commission.

Drainage Board

The Surveyor serves as an "Ex-Officio Member" of the Drainage Board. His role is to advise the Board on technical matters, prepare the annual drain priority list, keep track of the drain funds, and answer complaints about drainage problems.