2020 Absentee Voting Information
Any St. Joseph County registered voter interested in voting by mail must complete and submit an Application for Absentee Ballot.
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY ABSENTEE-BY-MAIL APPLICATION?
Online - Click here for an online application.
By Mail - Complete the Application for Absentee Ballot By Mail, print, sign and return to the St. Joseph County Circuit Court Clerk’s office by mail or to firstname.lastname@example.org. If returning by mail, send to your completed ABS-MAIL to St. Joseph County Election Board, 101 S. Main Street, South Bend, Indiana 46601.
IN ORDER TO VOTE ABSENTEE-BY-MAIL THE FOLLOWING MUST APPLY:
- You have a specific, reasonable expectation that you will be absent from the county on Election Day during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open (6 am until 6 pm).
- You have a disability.
- You are at least 65 years of age.
- You will have official election duties outside of your voting precinct. Note: This does not apply to St. Joseph County pollworkers working at a St. Joseph County Vote Center on Election Day because the pollworker may vote at the Vote Center in which they are working.
- You are scheduled to work at your regular place of employment during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open.
- You will be confined due to illness or injury or you will be caring for an individual confined due to illness or injury during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open.
- You are prevented from voting because of a religious discipline or religious holiday during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open.
- You are a voter eligible to vote under the "fail-safe" procedures in IC 3-10-11 or 3-10-12 (changed residence before an election)
- You are a participant in the state's address confidentiality program.
- You are a member of the military or a public safety officer.
- You are a "serious sex offender" as defined in Indiana Code 35-42-4-14(a).
- You are prevented from voting due to the unavailability of transportation to the polls
IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE THE ABSENTEE APPLICATION WITH THE REQUIRED INFORMATION, IT WILL NOT BE PROCESSED AND YOU WILL NEED TO RE-SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. PLEASE DO NOT INSERT REASONS LIKE “COVID” ON YOUR APPLICATION. NOTE: COVID IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE EXCUSE UNDER CURRENT INDIANA LAW TO VOTE ABSENTEE BY MAIL.
HOW DO I RETURN MY ABSENTEE-BY-MAIL BALLOT?
By Mail - A first class, postage pre-paid envelope is included in your absentee ballot packet.
Hand Deliver - If you wish to hand-deliver your absentee ballot, it must be received in the St. Joseph County Clerk’s office (Basement of Court House), 101 S. Main Street, South Bend, Indiana 46601.
No later than NOON on November 3rd, a Voter may Hand Deliver their Absentee-By-Mail Ballot to the St. Joseph County Clerk’s office (Basement of Court House), 101 S. Main Street, South Bend, Indiana 46601 (On Election Day, enter the Lafayette door entrance to the St. Joseph County Courthouse); OR
A Voter may also hand deliver their Absentee-By-Mail Ballot to an election worker during the hours of In-Person Absentee Voting (See Hours and Locations listed below under In-Person Absentee Voting)
Certain individuals other than the Voter may return the Voter’s Absentee-By-Mail Ballot. The following individuals may return the Voter’s Absentee-By-Mail Ballot:
- Member of the Voter’s household;
- Voter’s Attorney in fact;
- U.S. postal worker; or
- Bonded courier
If the individual falls into any category listed above, this person will need to fill out, sign, and submit an ABS-19 form at the time the individual hand delivers the Voter’s Absentee-By-Mail Ballot.
For more information on Absentee-By-Mail voting in Indiana, visit https://www.in.gov/sos/elections/2402.htm or call (574) 235-1812.
MILITARY AND OVERSEAS ABSENTEE VOTING
A military or "absent uniformed services" voter is an individual serving away from his/her place of permanent residence that is also:
- A member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or other uniformed service on active duty who, by reason of active duty, is absent from the place of residence where the member is otherwise qualified to vote
- A member of the Merchant Marine who, by reason of service in the Merchant Marine, is absent from the place of residence where the member is otherwise qualified to vote
- A member of the Indiana National Guard deployed or on assignment outside of Indiana
- A spouse or dependent of a member referred to above whom, by reason of the active duty or service of the member, is absent from the place of residence where the spouse or dependent is otherwise qualified to vote
- See IC 3-5-2-1.5 for definition of "absent uniformed service voter."
Military Voting Assistance
Federal Voting Assistance Program
- A person who resides outside of the United States AND who is qualified to vote in the last place in which the person was domiciled before leaving the United States
- A person who resides outside the United States and, but for such residence, would be qualified to vote in the last place in which the person was domiciled before leaving the United States
See IC 3-5-2-34.5 for definition of “overseas voter.”
A voter who lives abroad and no longer has a legal residence in Indiana may only vote for federal offices.
Please use Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)
This form can be used by all Military and Overseas Citizens and their Family Members. It is a standard combined form that allows you to register to vote and apply for an absentee ballot. It allows you to choose to vote by email, fax or mail and is valid for both the 2020 Primary and General Elections. Submit completed form by email to email@example.com; fax (574) 235-9838 or mail to: St. Joseph County Election Board, 101 S. Main Street, South Bend, Indiana 46601.
Additional information on Military and Overseas Voting
Vote by Traveling Board by filling out an absentee ballot application and indicate you would like to have a travel board come to your residence to vote your ballot. The Traveling Board supervisor will call and schedule a time for their visit. Download the travel board request form
For additional information on voting absentee in Indiana visit Indianavoters.com
CONTACT THE ST. JOSEPH COUNTY ELECTION BOARD
County Clerk Physical Address
101 S. Main St.
Basement of Court House
South Bend, IN 46601